Stinkbug Trick?

Lately, I’ve been facing only a handful of stinkbugs a day. My morning patrol sweeps up only ten or twenty, instead of the previous hundreds. I should be rejoicing in my victory. Instead – I’m afraid.

Despite the multi-pronged attack I have been launching, I find it hard to believe that it could possibly be this easy to defeat this dreaded enemy. Are the stinkbugs really gone? Or are they just lying in wait, biding their time until I am lulled into a false sense of security? Perhaps the stinkbugs are secretly breeding and training their soldiers so that when I have lost my defensive edge, they can launch their final attack.

Just in case they ARE actually on the run, however, I will share the approach that, for the time being, seems to actually be working against them.

1. Regular bimonthly spraying of Home Defense on the outside perimeter, with special focus on doors and windows through which stinkbugs love to slither.
  2. Daily sweeps of stinkbug carcasses from floors and window sills.
  3. Deployment of the dreaded Tower of Death whenever they are active and flying at night.
  4. Regular mopping and wall and windowsill cleaning of the dreaded stinkbug trail. It’s important to remove all sign of those yucky brown drops which contain the stinkbug scent and lure their fellows to join them in your happy home.
  5. Spraying along the inside of all doors and windows with a mixture of alcohol and either mint extract or eucalyptus oil. This smells nice and actually seems to repel them.
  6. Continued vigilance. We must NEVER relax our guard against these evil enemy invaders!

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• MarylandStinkBugs.com  On June 29, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Great post !!! I passed this one around on twitter and FB…I’ve been seeing less bugs too but I’m afraid I have a tree in the back that may have bug eggs on the leaves…I have a post in the works about it today or tomorrow.

• JillyJill  On July 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm

*I’ve been seeing less too!*
    MUCH less. Do you suppose that the US Agriculture Dept released the tiny bees (Japanese, I think) that are natural predators of the stinky horde? Do you think they would have done so without telling us–as not to alarm. (You know, releasing a bizillion tiny bees might rile some folks UP.)
    I’m going to have to do some research… What did we ever do without the internet?
    At ease, soldier. Potentially.

• Diana Abel  On July 3, 2011 at 6:02 am

I’m no Stink Bug expert, but I think that they are out breeding or doing whatever they do while it’s warm. I havent seen one near my house since it got really hot. YAY!! Im enjoying my stink bug free life for now. Im afraid to say that once it starts cooling down, you can probably expect them back and trying everything in thier power to creep their way into your house, car and lives. I WISH they would come up with something to kill these things.

• Victoria  On July 5, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Great post!
    I think they’re just waiting for us to relax…

• Dan  On July 30, 2011 at 1:44 am

I found this site while during a search wondering why stink bugs have all of a sudden disappeared. I’ve only come across a handfull of them this year compared to the hundreds I would come across last year. I wonder what’s going on.

• Derry  On September 10, 2011 at 4:35 am

I live in Rosemont PA and have not seen very few stinkbugs this past month. Last year at this time there were hundreds just in one room alone. We have done no spraying as I am against chemicals. I do know that the township has been spraying but I doubt it was directed at stinkbugs. I hope it is a natural predator and not an overdose of pesticides.

• Debbie  On September 26, 2011 at 6:00 am

As of today, the stink bugs have appeared in full force in Maryland.

• Ivette  On September 27, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I live in Germantown, MD and Stink bugs where allover my car,when I came back from a walk around the park with my dogs, are they attracted to green? or it was because all around there was trees and plants. ughh i never seen so many! I’m so disgust by them

What are your thoughts?