Stinkbugs Bite!

As I sat at my computer working, I felt a sharp pain on my bare foot. I reached down and found a stinkbug. Biting me. But wait, haven’t I been reading article after article in which the “experts” assure us that these atrocious creatures don’t bite? I was confused. And irritated. So, I decided to do some research. After all, it’s what I do. You see, I happen to be an expert myself. I was an English teacher for 18 years, and I now live in a home fully infested with stinkbugs. They DO bite. And it hurts.

According to the Mirriam Webster Dictionary, bite means

1a: to seize, especially with teeth or jaws so as to enter, grip or wound; 1b: to wound pierce or sting especially with a fang or proboscis; 2: to cut or pierce with or as if with an edged weapon; 3: to cause sharp pain or stinging discomfort to

According to the experts “the brown marmorated stinkbug feeds by sucking on plant juices with its beak, which is made with straw-like mouthparts. Its damage can range from mild to severe;” “BMSBs feed on host plants by piercing the skin and consuming the juices within; the signs of stink bug feeding appear as “necrotic” or dead spots on the surface;” “Stink bugs feed on plant tissue by piercing the cells and sucking out the contents;” “the brown marmorated stink bug is a sucking insect that uses its proboscis to pierce the host plant in order to feed.”

Seriously?! But they can’t bite? What exactly do these experts consider it when these alien invaders use their mouth to attempt feeding on us?!

News flash, experts: Brown marmorated stinkbugs definitely BITE!

Pun intended.

Copyright © 2011 Lydia Whitney

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• SarahLambert  On September 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Lydia,

You make your stink bug stories so funny! I work for a television production company about to make a series about insect infestations.

I ‘d love to talk to you about your stink bug experiences! I can be contacted on my given e-mail address.

• anonymous  On October 14, 2011 at 4:17 am

Whoever says they don’t bite is wrong. They do, and it definitely hurts. Had one crawl in my boxers last night and got me in the side of the balls. Awakened instantly from the pain, I ran to the bathroom, dropped my boxers and an injured stinkbug definitely fell right out onto the floor. I let him suffer. Today is 24hrs later, small red irritation, roughly pencil eraser size, and mild pain. Not too bad today, but last night was not fun.

• Jo  On June 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I didn’t think they could bite till about 10 mins ago….I was driving and rolled the windows down when I got where I was going and my brother screamed and flung it at me BC he thought it was a spider at first but ended up being a stink bug and it bit my ear and it hurt its like a pinch….and now I have a red bump onmy ear from it……ugfhhhh I hate bugs

• jackie  On July 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

hey,

i found some stinkbugs mating and took them in because i am sudenly fasinated with insects and ecspeicially stinkbugs.

then i found these little flea sized brown eggs on my dads pumpkin. i put them into a jar and closed it tightly,

putting them upstairs.

then, just today, i saw eight little green bugs inside of the egg container. its very amazing.

there kinda cute when there little.
    would keeping them to study there habits, ( in captivity )

be bad? ( i can tell the difference between male and female )

• stephanie  On November 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

My daughter was just bit and it has a small red.circle and is swelling. She cried from the pain.

• Julia  On December 3, 2012 at 1:59 am

Guess what?? No more wondering here….they bite.it hurts for hours, ….end of the age old theory that they dont!

• John  On December 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Funny, I just found this site because I was sitting at my computer working, and felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my socked foot. Put my hand down to my foot and found a stink bug. Not only do they bite, they can do so through a sock!

• Steve  On January 27, 2013 at 9:02 am

We have had more stink bugs in the house this month then all of last summer & fall. I either torture them or toss them outside. I picked one up to toss it outside the other evening (it was 15 outside). In the process, it stung my finger. Since the pain was minimal, I did not think anything of it until I saw a dime size bruise there 24 hours later.

What are your thoughts?