Kill the Stinkbugs…

Is it bad that I actually enjoy watching brown marmorated stinkbugs die slow, agonizing deaths? The thing is, I’m the kind of person that won’t kill spiders, loves snakes, and tries to put baby birds back in nests. Even when it is an accident or necessary, I hate killing anything. Correction: Hated killing anything. I hate stinkbugs so much that I actually thrive on their destruction, by any means.

So, I have been researching and so far have found two particular chemical pesticides that seem to work: cypermethrin and dinotefuran. I have been using Home Defense, which contains bifenthrin with good results. It doesn’t keep them away, but it does kill those who pass through the barrier to enter the house. The reality, though is that you still have to collect the carcasses. This picture if from my morning patrol…

Pile of Dead Stinkbugs Pesticide

Results of My Morning Patrol

Copyright © 2011 Lydia Whitney

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• Jen  On March 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

ewwwwwwwwww…. but I do agree, killing them does bring some pleasure to my life and I do not like killing living things. I used to try and gather them and throw them outside but that became pointless and tedious.

• Joe STinkbug Clark  On March 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Kill them all.

Joe Stinkbug Clark

• Anna  On March 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

My husband just installed a bug zapper in the attic – it has done wonders for the overwhelming stink bug population that has invaded our bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen, etc. I went into the attic yesterday, only 2 days after he installed it and saw dozens upon dozens of dead stink bugs. The ones that were still alive were all clinging to the outside of the zapper enjoying the heat and glow of the light emanating from it.
    Once the weather is warmer we plan on installing a second zapper outside the house to see if that will dissuade any more of the buggers from entering.
    In the meantime, I keep the glue traps for mice in several areas around the house, under lamps in the living room and on the sink in the bathroom – 2 areas that they seem to love and I catch a few each day, although that has slowed down immensely due to the zapper in the attic.

• Joe StinkBug Clark  On March 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Anna,

How long do the glue traps last before you have to replace them?

• lydiawhitney  On March 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I like the glue trap idea! I’m going to have to try it…

• Anna  On March 23, 2011 at 12:05 pm

They have been filling up pretty quickly. I leave them down for about a week and then replace them. The glue never stops working, so if there aren’t many on them, you can leave them in place for as long as you want.
      You will be surprised how many you catch on them.

• Andy Strube  On April 9, 2011 at 4:31 am

Bryan Butler Sr., a regional fruit educator working with the University of Maryland Extension who recently took a six-month sabbatical with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to research stink bugs, noted that most pesticides don’t actually kill these insects – at least not permanently.

He explained that 15 to 50 percent of the stink bugs appeared to die when sprayed under laboratory conditions. Over the course of a week, however, they came back to life.

“Normally when you spray an insecticide, dead is dead,” Butler said. “Not this time

FULL STORY HERE:http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2011/03/06-45/This-stinks-Experts-expect-stink-bug-population-to-explode-this-year.html?ne=1

• Cdasdo2  On April 11, 2011 at 2:35 am

I completely agree with you! I also abhor these small insects and have no problem wishing them farewell. It is disturbing to me that these bugs are virtually indestructible! Although it seems as though your chemicals have been doing the trick it frightens me that they have no natural predators that we know of. So instead we are forced to face the bugs head on and kill them with our own two hands. They are prehistoric like and I freak out each time I am forced to pick one up with a tissue, dead or alive. They give me the heebie jeebies and I don’t think I will ever get used to them or will be able to coexist. I just hope they come up with a solution soon so I can finally get a good night’s sleep!

• Michael Kelly  On April 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’m so happy to hear that there are people who hate Stinkbugs as much as I do! I do a stinkbug “harvest” at least 3 times a day to keep them at bay. I’ve sealed everything I can and have no idea how they keep getting in. My harvest method is a pair of needle nose plyers and a small container of this electrical cleaner stuff. I grab them by the head when possible and throw them in there so their stink and stupid little bodies can be contained. I look forward to hearing more about the war against the enemy!

• Willa  On April 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

For the last year, on a daily basis, I have swept up at least as many as shown in the photo of the dustpan above. For the life of me, I could not figure out how the hell they were getting in. After all, I have new window and storm door screens throughout my house. They fly into my dinner when I am preparing meals, get caught in my long hair and simply terrorize me, as I am a true bugaphobe. I have an irrational fear of insects, period. Knowing that it’s irrational doesn’t change anything. I can’t sleep at night because I think these little creeps are in my bed. Recently someone I know told me he was certain they wree in his heating/air condition vents. This threw me into a total panic, since the time for turning on my central air is approaching. I also read they cannot reproduce in the house. I hope that is true. Winter proved no relief whatsoever. Anyway, as I was watching TV the other night, lo and behold I observed a flight pattern of the little suckers in my living room. They were in my FIREPLACE! Literally thousands of them! I used an entire can of RAID all around the perimeter and inside the fireplace. Wala! No more invasion … I wonder how long the chemicals will work? I’m thinking there is a (most obviously) a nest in the fireplace, and have decided that before the weather here in Monmouth County NJ gets any warmer that I might have to stoke a big fire to kill any eggs, etc., but then I will spray the fireplace again. I was vacumming up an entire vacuum bucket full every day. My friends and family thought I was exaggerating until I showed them the photos. Also, those things DO BITE. Not too badly, but they definitely bite! Anyway, I thought I’d post here to tell everyone to check your fireplace! After reading this post, I think I will bomb the attic also. I have birds, and if you do too, I suggest you put them in a safe area outside the home, as you could kill them while spraying, me thinks. Spraying the fireplace offered almost 100% relief. Try this before paying some exterminator to kill them for an unreasonable price. I used scent free RAID ant/roach/crawling insect spray and it worked great. While you are at it, go ahead and spray the perimeters of your doors and windows. Again, careful of your house pets and do it while the weather is still pleasant. Hope this helps someone. :)

• Mark  On May 25, 2011 at 1:40 am

I derive no pleasure destroying any form of life; however, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs are an exception. Here in Southern New Jersey I encounter hundreds of these miserable insects in my garage. It is quite common for me to find a cluster of them behind a piece of lumber of under a box in the late fall, winter and early spring. They are very sluggish in cold weather so I easily collect them in a jar and kill them. I found that electrical contact cleaner kills them within a minute or two. You can buy a spray can of this at any home center or automotive store. I wear latex gloves when I get into one of my stink bug search and destroy moods. I just grab them with my gloved fingers and chuck them in the jar with some electrical contact cleaner in the jar. I have read that these bugs bite or sting. Personally, I have never been stung by a stink bug and I have handled hundreds of them. They cannot bite as they do not have mandibles; only a piercing proboscus like a mosquito. These bugs are essentially harmless to humans.
    Their detriment is to crops. I just killed about fifty bug tonight.

• jason  On June 26, 2011 at 4:46 am

what you have use to kill stink bugs. is that a friendly for children in the house?

What are your thoughts?